Sunday, September 11, 2011

Pain and Sufferin

Pain and Suffering was an appropriate name for a cross race on this 94 degree day.  Frankly though, the temperature doesn't matter all that much...most every cross race on any day in any weather is bound to bring on pain and suffering.  Today, it was in the form of dry, dusty, choke-your-esophagus heat.  Welcome to early season cross, I guess.  But this was my first experience doing any hot/dry cross races.  I didn't ride my first-ever cross race until the rain started in mid-October last year, so this was all new to me.

Unless I'm mistaken, I think today was the first cyclocross race in 2011 for any of the BMCC riders (please correct me if I'm wrong, and give us a post/pics). Bill and Abram joined, also sporting last year's jerseys:


Looking forward to those snazzy new ones in a week!  We all raced in the Cat C men's category.  Since completing most of last season in the beginners-cat we all agreed that we should probably "cat-up" to C's for this season.

Abram and I got a good starting position on the front line and jumped out to lead the field of 14 CatC riders.

After 45 minutes of choking agony...well, I was in the lead.  My first ever podium:


Bill finished solidly at 10th, and, unfortunately, Abram had to drop due to some athletic(/dust/heat)-induced asthma, but he looked great before his lungs failed to cooperate:

I must say that going out and racing has to be the best way to train for racing.  And it's a hell of a lot more fun than training on the roads or Leif.

Any other BMCC riders get out for the pre-crusade races?  Any plans? 

No comments:

Post a Comment