Monday, November 21, 2011

Kruger's Farm was frosty...sunny...then muddy....

As I spun the van out going over the Howell-Bybee bridge to Sauvie Island I remembered that the same thing happened last year. Cold early morning bridges are notorious for being slippery. As I pulled down the driveway past the Kruger sheds my memory of last year's frozen Beg. race went right down my spine like the first crack of winter. The difference was the sun was on full blast this year and it would warm up soon enough.Tim and Chris (Team S&M) helped put the tent up before their race. Things were a little crusty out there but Jamie jumped into the mix and these Mongers kept their kits clean and finished in the top half. Great result lads!!!!
Kyle 'Hammerin' Heddy was holding down the Mongers representation in the Cat. Cs and he was up to his normal ham-jiving as he rolled past our tent. But I caught him being real serious just before the race began.
Sean and I were set-up for a real battle in the Mster Cs. We had both been out late the night before and we were both called up (for per-registering) and we were neck-and-neck for most of the first lap. He pulled away at the beginning of lap two but I kept pushing and I did my best to keep him close enough. I finally caught up with on lap 5 and we were shoulder-to-shoulder heading up the stairs. Damn my bike weighed an extra 10 pounds with all that mud on it.

He remounted quicker then I did but I made sure not to fall back too far. My plan was to try and pass him on one of straight-ways in front of our tent...but the dreams were dashed as I cruised out of the shed my chain snapped. I was left with a half baked plan and Stroup heading off to a Beermonger Mstr C victory and 17th overall. Nice ride brotha....it was real fun while it lasted. I will be back for WinterCross!!!! All was not lost as the first rule of CX is to finish the race...I ran the last mile of the last lap and left with my chin-up.

When I got back to the tent to change Duke was lickin his chops and getting ready for Doggie Cross...BMCC jersey and all!!

Emily raced with Walter and the results have not been confirmed but rumor has it that this Speedy Team from Northfield, MN won the Lap Dawg Category. That's it we need to get Wally a BMCC jersey...yo Bill any super Xtra Small Kids jerseys left?

Due to a schedule change and Beth's rallying for a Cat. A race the next group of riders included the last of our crew for the day: Beth (Women's A), Nick (Cat. B) and Jer (Singlespeed).
It worked out that we could all hang-out after the top notch racers finished up and enjoy a few holiday beers...The holidays are here for sure.

This autumn has to go down as one of the best 'on' or 'off' record...Sundays won't be the same without all the panting, smiling, muddy faces of the cyclocross season. The conditions were kind of dry this season but we all 'up'd our game' and had fun in the rain/shine. I look forward to planning a cool BMCC bike tour trip for the coming spring. Thanks for all the fun times and I look forward to seeing you all at WinterX, Cascade Cross or on that white stuff in the mountains. The BMCC is the best for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment